Founded in 1932, Central City Opera (CCO) is the fifth oldest professional opera company in the country and is renowned for its exquisite world-class productions, competitive and robust young artist training program, and creative education and community engagement activities. The summer festival takes place at 8,500 feet above sea level in the Colorado mountain town of Central City, only 35 miles west of Denver, where the company owns and maintains 27 Victorian-era properties, including the intimate 550-seat jewel box opera house built in 1878.
Using the power of the arts and historic preservation to enhance lives and communities
To enrich the lives and communities of those we serve and to provide a welcoming, inclusive environment of beauty and meaning by:
- Creating exceptional opera and musical theater
- Delivering engaging artistic and educational programs to diverse communities throughout the Rocky Mountain region
- Celebrating and embracing diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility in all facets of the organization
- Preserving and protecting the historic opera house and other properties entrusted to Central City Opera
- Cultivating and supporting emerging opera singers and performing arts professionals through world-class training programs
Excellence, Passion, Innovation, Engagement, Integrity, Inclusiveness
For directions and suggestions for lodging, dining and other area activities during your trip to Central City Opera, check out our visitor information pages. For more information call 303-292-6500.