Music! Words! Opera! Workshop
Professional Development for Educators
July 16-20, 2018* (Monday through Friday)
8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Location: University Park United Methodist Church in Denver, CO
Workshop fee: $99
Three (3) optional graduate credits available from CU-Boulder for an additional $240
*Please note that the dates listed online are the most current and may differ from printed materials.
Explore new worlds and unleash your creativity at Central City Opera’s annual professional development workshop. Master teaching artists will guide you through a process you can replicate and adapt with your own students (grades K-12). You will use opera to enhance core subjects while developing 21st century skills – communication, collaboration and creative thinking. Get ready to help students discover the magical connections between language arts, social studies, science, mathematics and fine arts though musical storytelling.
Our acclaimed summer workshop is open to all educators – elementary classroom teacher to high school language arts teacher or music specialist, and is particularly effective for teaching teams.
INCLUDED IN THE WORKSHOP:
- Three (3) graduate credits from CU-Boulder (optional, $210. Download the form at the bottom of this page.)
- Music! Words! Opera! methods textbook
- Lesson plans and instruction in how to implement a project with students
- Hands-on experience creating an original opera
- Study materials for The Magic Flute from the 2018 Central City Opera Festival
- Tickets to a performance of The Magic Flute at the Central City Opera House are available for a small fee and are required of participants seeking professional development credits (optional for non-credit participants)
- Central City Opera is committed to assist with the implementation of this program with your students
- Five days of some of the best fun you’ve ever had!
Please see the registration links below.
About the Curriculum
The Music! Words! Opera! curriculum was developed by respected educators who believe that all people are inherently creative and that students deserve the opportunity to experience creative learning. Opera is an art of collaboration from inception through production; an excellent model for collaborative teaching and learning that also lends itself to creating a balance between academic and experiential learning. Interdisciplinary links can be forged among areas such as history, literature, social sciences, arts and math, inspiring creative and critical thinking. Students are also challenged to think beyond speaking and writing to discover new and larger ways of expressing themselves – through words, music, dramatic expression and visual arts.
Complete our Online Registration form now. You will have the option to submit payment by check or online via PayPal to Central City Opera. To pay by check and register by mail, download the Music! Words! Opera! 2018 Workshop Registration form and follow the instructions.
Register for Graduate Credits (optional)
Download the CU-Boulder Credit Registration Form. Submit form and payment to CU-Boulder directly.