- Tuesday, February 6, 2018: McAuliffe International School* in Denver, CO
“I’ll never be free unless I dare to be me.”
An original one-act bilingual opera, En Mis Palabras/In My Own Words addresses the univeral theme of adolescent development — finding your own voiceand learning who you are amid parental expectations and peer influences. Fifteen-year-old Ana Maria feels stifled by her strict father; he is bewildered by her wish to be herself. Wise Abuela and brother Rodolfo try to help but it takes a family crisis to bring father and daughter to the beginning of acceptance and understanding. A bilingual resource guide and lesson plans explores cultural and family traditions, immigration and Latino history in Colorado and includes lesson plans in language arts and social studies.
- Grades 6-12 and family audiences
- Performed by 4 singers, pianist and classical guitarist
- 50 minutes + 10 minute Q&A
- $650 for one performance
- Colorado Academic Standards: Music, Reading, Writing and Communicating, World Language, Social Studies, Theater — Resources and related lesson plans available online (English and Spanish)
- Available year round — Scholarships available
- Study Guides available for download in the Resource Center
*Admission to any academic performance is solely at the discretion of the producing venue. Please contact the school directly to see if you may attend. To find out more about this opera and others, including how to book a performance at your venue, visit our Programs for Tweens and Teens page.