Music! Words! Opera! Workshop
Professional Development for Educators
July 5-9, 2016 (Tuesday-Saturday)
8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
TBD location – (University of Denver or University of Colorado at Boulder)
Workshop fee: $99
Credits available for an additional fee
Explore new worlds and unleash your creativity at Central City Opera’s annual professional development workshop. Master teaching artists will guide you through a process you can replicate and adapt with your own students (grades K-12). You will use opera to enhance core subjects while developing 21st century skills – communication, collaboration and creative thinking. Get ready to help students discover the magical connections between language arts, social studies, science, mathematics and fine arts though musical storytelling.
Our acclaimed summer workshop is open to all educators – elementary classroom teacher to high school language arts teacher or music specialist, and is particularly effective for teaching teams.
Music! Words! Opera! Workshop 2016 Brochure (pdf)
INCLUDED IN THE WORKSHOP:
- Professional development credits (optional, additional fee applies)
- Hands-on experience creating an original opera
- Lesson plans and instruction in how to implement a project with students
- Study materials for The Ballad of Baby Doe in Central City Opera’s 2016 Festival.
- Tickets to a performance of The Ballad of Baby Doe at the Central City Opera House are available for a small fee and are required of participants seeking professional development credits. (Opera attendance date is the evening of July 9th, unless otherwise arranged.)
- Central City Opera is committed to assist with the implementation of this program with your students
- A week of some of the best fun you’ve ever had!
Please see the registration links below.
“I’ve been teaching for years and this is one of the best professional development workshops ever. I think young teachers in particular can learn more practical applications in one week than in all their college methods classes.”
About the Curriculum
The Music! Words! Opera! curriculum was developed by respected educators who believe that all people are inherently creative and that students deserve the opportunity to experience creative learning. Opera is an art of collaboration from inception through production; an excellent model for collaborative teaching and learning that also lends itself to creating a balance between academic and experiential learning. Interdisciplinary links can be forged among areas such as history, literature, social sciences, arts and math, inspiring creative and critical thinking. Students are also challenged to think beyond speaking and writing to discover new and larger ways of expressing themselves – through words, music, dramatic expression and visual arts.
Complete our Online Registration form now. You will have the option to submit payment by check or online via PayPal to Central City Opera.
Register for Professional Development Credit (optional)
Information on registering for Professional Development credits is coming soon.