Central City Opera, located less than an hour from Denver in the foothills of the Rockies, is the second oldest summer opera festival in the United States. The 550-seat opera house, a historic landmark in Central City, affords an intimate, innovative opera experience. The year-round administrative offices for the opera are located in Denver, Colorado.
In addition to its main stage productions, Central City Opera is noted for its famed Apprentice Artist/Studio Program, dedicated to the education and development of rising young opera singers.
For a list of current staff, visit our Staff & Board page. Available jobs are listed below.
Director of Marketing
REPORTS TO: General/Artistic Director
DIRECT REPORTS: Associate Director of Marketing, Box Office Manager
STATUS: Full-Time, Exempt
LOCATION: Denver office with occasional travel to Central City; some evening and weekend work required
COMPENSATION: DOE with benefits
Central City Opera (CCO) is the nation’s fifth-oldest opera company with annual summer performances presented at the Central City Opera House, 40 miles west of Denver in one of Colorado’s official National Landmark Historic Districts. Founded in 1932, the company continues to present artistically excellent professional opera in an annual summer festival; to offer a nationally recognized career-entry training program for young singers; to produce year-round education and community engagement programs and performances; and to preserve and maintain the Opera House and 30 other Victorian-era properties.
The Director of Marketing is responsible for strategic leadership, planning, implementation and evaluation of marketing and communications in traditional and digital media, as well as branding efforts for CCO. The Director of Marketing will work closely with the other department directors to provide appropriate marketing and communications support for all program areas and to help ensure the overall success of the organization. This position is responsible for preparing and managing the annual marketing budget and for providing oversight and supervision of the Associate Director of Marketing, the Box Office Manager and box office operations, and various outside contractors.
- Develops and manages annual marketing budget including ticket revenue goals
- Establishes and implements a strategic direction for the marketing department that aligns with and supports the strategic direction of the organization
- Oversees department resources including marketing databases, website, taping, recording, and photography needs
- Supervises the Associate Director of Marketing and the Box Office Manager including performance management, coaching and development, and oversees the same for other employees within the department
- Contracts and oversees service providers such as printers, outdoor media installation, web services, and various contractors
- Regularly attends and reports at CCO Board of Directors meetings, department director meetings, and staff meetings.
- Represents CCO at various professional and community meetings such as SCFD, Denver Metro Convention & Visitors Bureau, Opera America
Marketing and Public Relations
- Develops and implements a comprehensive, written plan for marketing/communications with measurable goals and benchmarks for short- and long-term goals
- Strategically allocates all advertising dollars, negotiates advertising contracts, oversees ad design and delivery
- Develops and coordinates sales tactics with Box Office Manager for subscription, acquisition and single ticket sales to ensure that sales goals are met and all available seats are strategically filled
- Secures media sponsorships and coordinates with the Development Department to generate ideas for future sponsorship opportunities
- Oversees all media communications including interviews and the development of press materials and press releases
- Develops and oversees all printed marketing collateral materials including brochures, newsletters, direct mail pieces, and Festival program
- Oversees all organizational communications through news media, advertising, direct mail, email, social media and website to ensure consistency of the CCO brand across all communication channels
- Oversees website maintenance and internet marketing efforts
- Provides marketing and public relations support for key events of the CCO Guild and CCO Board Special Events Committee
- Works closely with other departments to explore and develop opportunities for cross promotion and collaborations for audience development
- Works closely with key members of Central City and Denver area communities to promote and create awareness of CCO; serves as key spokesperson for the company as needed
- Analytical, conceptual and strategic thinking
- Proven success in developing and implementing comprehensive marketing/PR campaigns and branding and awareness strategies
- Demonstrated ability to define goals, set priorities, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Experience with website content management, especially with sites on a WordPress platform
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Strong fiscal management
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and an ability to work cooperatively with a broad range of individuals
- Discretion, maturity and composure, especially under pressure
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field required, with a minimum of five years relevant experience, preferably in the performing arts
- Interest/knowledge in opera, music or the performing arts strongly preferred
Please send one PR/Marketing related writing sample along with a cover letter and resume detailing relevant experience to email@example.com. Type Director of Marketing in the subject line. NO PHONE CALLS or DROP-INS, PLEASE. Deadline to apply is Friday, July 22, 2016
Artists Training Program
The Bonfils-Stanton Foundation Artists Training Program, which selects 30 participants from more than 1,000 applicants each year, has provided valuable training for many of America’s most notable young opera professionals, including Denyce Graves, Cynthia Lawrence, Margaret Lattimore, Mary Mills, Emily Pulley, Don Bernardini, Greg Turay, and J. Patrick Raftery.
Application materials for the Artists Training Program are due in October each year. Please see the above link for details.
Please return in 2017 for information about spring auditions for the 2017 Summer Festival.
Summer Internship Opportunities
Central City Opera, located 40 minutes northwest of Denver in the foothills of the Rockies, is the fifth oldest summer opera festival in the United States and the oldest performing arts organization in Colorado. The 550-seat theater, a historic landmark in Central City, affords an intimate experience with operatic and musical theater. CCOHA now performs in regional venues as well each summer. In addition to the mainstage season, Central City Opera is noted for its famed Bonfils-Stanton Artists Training Program, dedicated to the development of the young American singer.
Positions as Festival Staffers/Interns offer excellent professional development towards careers in arts management and opera production, as well as practical experience in specialized areas of interest. Many past Festival Staffers have gone on to successful careers in these fields.
Concurrent or previous academic coursework or practical experience in those areas of interest and be a high school graduate. Should have an interest in opera/musical theater and must have a positive demeanor and solid work ethic. The ability to deal maturely with the public is a must. Writing and photographic samples may be requested if interested in public relations/marketing; social media experience also helpful. Candidates for office/music library and stage management positions must be able to read music. All production-related candidates must have some previous related experience in those areas. Employment is limited to citizens of the United States, students from abroad with valid student or work visas and aliens who have been granted permanent resident status by the U.S. Dept. of Justice, the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
All positions for the 2016 Festival season are now filled. Please consider applying for the 2017 Festival season. Internship application materials for the 2017 season will be posted December 2016.
2016 CCO Application (PDF)
2016 CCO Application (Word document)